Monday, October 12, 2009

Review: Walking Tacos ~ 10.12.09

Today's meal is brought to you by Corona and Doritos.

Kidding. But they go great together and are somehow involved in this meal I'm about to share.
I was reminded it of it last weekend while I was at Applefest up in Franklin, Pa. Tons and tons of food vendors and I saw a sign for walking tacos! You're going to love this recipe. I discovered it over at Mennonite Girls can Cook and/or Bless Us O Lord- maybe both.


A walking taco (they're a.k.a. campfire tacos) is: all your essential taco ingredients contained in a very convenient little bag of doritos! Brilliant!

I love them that way b/c :
a) my kids can eat them without tears (they get SOOOO very frustrated when their taco shell breaks and all the stuff pours out of them) and
b) they're so darn fun!

You can make whatever taco meat recipe your little heart pleases, I prefer the America's Test Kitchen one which I'll post down below. You get all your taco ingredients together in little bowls and you buy a bunch of little bags of doritos (Target has them and Walmart, too)- you can buy JUST snack size doritos, as I discovered when I went to make these the first time around.

Here we have taco meat, shredded lettuce, taco sauce, tomatoes, avocados, monterey jack cheese and queso.

Open up your dorito bag and fold the top over just a little. Scoop in your taco fillings, mix it up and bit and eat it with a fork or spoon. Grown ups, add corona with lime. YUM!

If you have leftovers, you can scoop all the ingredients onto broken up pieces of taco shells or tortilla chips.... fun and yummy snack! Little open-faced tacos. Taco bruschetta. Whatever, it's good.

My favorite taco meat recipe:
Beef Tacos - serves 4; (can double, but you'll want to cook the meat in batches)
2 tsp veg oil
1 small onion, chopped small
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp gr cumin
1 tsp gr coriander (I don't have this)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsps vinegar, preferrably cider vinegar
black pepper
  • Heat oil to medium and saute onion until softened, about 4 minutes.
  • Add the garlic and spices and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute
  • Add ground beef and cook, breaking up with spoon and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the tomato sauce, broth, brown sugar and vinegar; bring to a simmer.
  • Reduce heat to med-low and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently and breaking the meat up so that no chunks remain, until the liquid has reduced and thickened (the mixture should not be completely dry), about 1o minutes.
  • Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.


1 comment:

  1. I never knew what a Walking Taco was. They sound really good and perfect for the kids. Since I'm on a roll with trying out your Cafe recipes I'll have to give this one a whirl as well this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete